Wednesday, 27 January 2010
Tuesday, 26 January 2010
Wednesday, 6 January 2010
We chose to have our Friends & Family Xmas party at this beautiful venue that is great for Birthdaty Parties as well as a quiet tipple with a loved one or even mistress....
A night of frivolity and festive spirit was cocktailed with awesome dim sum dishes, heaps of prawn tempuras, soft shell crabs and banging espresso martinis.
Thank you Dipak, Manoj & Carlos for a splendifeous party!!!
See www.kumoknightsbridge.com for more details - book through us for better rates & Superior quality TLC :
KUMO – CONCEPT AND DESIGN
Recognising the glitz and glamour of the Beauchamp Place, the team behind KUMO have satisfied the need
for an early evening sophisticated cocktail bar and dining lounge, with the perfect setting for a tête-à-tête.
The alluring background music is a hedonistic blend of Cafe del Mar and Hed Kandi style beats creating the
perfect early evening mood.
The staff bestow a warm welcome to the mixed clientele of local socialites and fashionista attracted by the
low lit/comfy seating, highly cushioned “mood zone”. Kumo is open from early evening right through to
the early hours of the morning, by which time the mood has kicked into another realm, induced by alluring
tunes that move to dance-inspiring grooves.
Well-experienced, well-groomed bar staff mix classic and custom cocktails. Choose a Cocktail from our
impressive menu or test the bartender’s knowledge! Be looked after, meet interesting and beautiful
people, enjoy the music and experience an atmosphere that is unique in these parts.
Well renowned bar and club designer Lee Broom has consulted on the design for Kumo Knightsbridge to
create an intimate, stylish venue with some interesting design features. Lee Broom recently voted the 10
most important people in the industry and also short listed for The Observer “top 500 to watch” list.
My Friend DJ Femi Fem of Young Disciples fame invited us to the launch of the latest fly lounge bar/ restaurant to hit London. Placed at the old Subterrania in Portobello it was sure to be a hit. So I took the crew to a most spectacular affair of jugglers, contortionists, drag queens and scantily clad ladies. A few familiar faces made for an interesting night. I didn't think Londoners would take the theme of "Any colour as long as its white" seriously but heck they did. Felt a tad out of sink but at least I had my white adidas on.
See www.supperclub.com for some more interactive fun.
Beds, pomp, splendour, circimstance and great visuals helped enhance a great food & drink fuelled evening!
DJ Femi Fem and other Amsterdam flown in DJs made sure the house was jumping......
Brought to us by Alberto( Formerly of Chinawhite) and his partners this place is surely going to be a hit .....once I get involved anyway ;-)
Thanks for a great time and thanks for the New Year's Eve Party as well: a most enchanting night.
Worth a look in !
Tuesday, 5 January 2010
To bring to light the diversity and culture nutured in PH whilst enhancing the link of Nollywood, Hollywood & Bollywood. The cause continues and I was very proud to see what my Nation is capable of delivering!!! There will always be bad press but as long as we keep creating in Film & Entertainment as a whole attractive events and positive workshops for our people we shall prevail!!!!!
THE ION INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL 2009
Summary / Write up
9TH DECEMBER 2009
The countdown began 9th December to one of the most hotly anticipated events in the Film Festival Calendar, The ION International Film Festival, held in Port Harcourt Nigeria 9-12th December 2009. Everything happened thick and fast - all the special events taking place, forums, seminars, previews, screenings, bringing magic, mystery and fairytales to life together with the greatest entertainment available at this year’s event which brought an energy unforeseen for many years in the region.
Most Guests, Directors, Actors, Press and Participants, came from all over the globe including Kenya, South Africa, Zimbabwe , Tanzania, other Nigerian States, regions and tribes for example Lagos / Ibos / Hausa’s Kanowood, other countries like India, Pakistan, Indonesia, Iran, Hong Kong, European Countries France, Germany and the UK, USA & South America) - arrived in the pores cleansing heat of Port Harcourt on Wednesday 9th December, and were welcomed by transportation and security. Most were based at Le Meridien Hotel.
After checking in and registering, the guests were treated to a sumptuous dinner hosted by His Excellency Rt Hon. Chibuike Rotimi Amaechi at the Government House.
After the National Anthem and Grace were adhered to Guests, the audience were treated to an array of entertainment which included what was the visual splendor of the Rivers Ladies Choir, Fishermen dances re-enacting catching a shark scene, Juju dancers and other Rivers State traditional musicians
10TH DECEMBER 2009
I (Baba Epega) took the mostly Nigerian, Italian, French & South African Press on a tour guided by Commissioner Ibim from the Govt House to the newly constructed Unity Road which linked the lands of Okrika & Ogoni to the main part of Port Harcourt. PH had a lot of traffic jams but as we had police escort we slipped through this easily but still had to travel 2 hours out of town to the bridge and islands that surround PH like Okrika & Ogoni Land. We also saw development of Boarding Schools for up to 1000 and Health Clinics for Mothers and Children – See PICTURES ATTACHED
Meanwhile at the Silverbird Cinemas Complex we had a panel of eminent judges ( tbc) and guests watching ( Where the Festival was being shown) . Special events taking place included ...... films bringing magic, mystery, and fairytales to life:
• Seminars included - ENTERTAINMENT BUSINESS SESSION 1 : FINANCING - with a Panel that included Parminder Vir OBE (Financing), Sandeep Bhargava (Studio 18), Zeb Ejiro (Filmmaker), Chris Roland (Zenhq), Madhu Mantena (The Big Bang Co), Aon Albert G.Ruben, First Bank of Nigeria and BGL Investment Bankers.
1) 12 noon “You didn’t see anything in Kinshasha” by Ngangura Mwese ( Congo) 1 ½ hrs – after this there was a discussion on the film]
2) 4pm “Laguna Negra” by Michael Watts ( England)
3) 4pm “ Battle for the Xingu” by Lara Lee ( Brazil)
4) 3 others as well from USA , Kenya and Nigeria as well
• Also in the Silverbird Complex was showing :
1) Short Films from the Youth Projects like – “Teacher’s Rod” by Namikpoh Aybatari ( Nigeria) / “Had I known” by Blessing Sunday (Nigeria)
2) Music Videos included – “ City Of Noise” by Mitch Barany ( Canada ) / Clowns vs Ninjas by David Brocca ( USA) / 1 other
3) Animation Films included – “ Paper Mouse” by Ebele Okoye ( Nigeria)/ “Nature On its course” by Su-An Ng ( Canada ) / 3 others as well
Evening – Pras from Fugees & Giancarlo Esposito arrive ! – World Class!
The OPENING GALA DINNER STARTED AT ABOUT 8PM IN AN AIR CONDITIONED AND THEMED MARQUEE THAT SAT 400 GUESTS:
Celebrities attending included– CHAMPAGNE WAS SPONSORED BY “CHAMPAGNE AYALA”
Le Meridien did the greatest food I have tasted at a massive event for a long time – Traditional Chicken & Fried Rice / Tiger Prawns on a bed Caramelized Onions and mash
Dignitaries led by Sokari Davies, the Rivers State's Director of Tourism and Commissioner Ibim led proceedings. The Governor was noted by his absence. Also present were - Pras from Fugees & Giancarlo Esposito – Hollywood stars / Nollywood stars like Sam Dede / Bollywood Stars like Adnan Saddiqui & Meusameh Makhija also attended. Lots of Nigerian VIPs came as well but don t remember the names
Sponsorship from Rivers State Government, Zain, Gitto Construction, Le Meridien, Protea Hotel , Cable Africa Network, Africa Magic, Africa Channel and AIT
Other highlights included ..... Bands like 2 FACE & Other Bands (I will get them to fill in this part)
Any quotes at the event: Pras – about being in Nigeria and how everyone has been so welcoming!
11TH DECEMBER 2009
Seminars included - ENTERTAINMENT BUSINESS SESSION 2 : DISTRIBUTION - The panel explored the best distribution channels and included the panel - Ben Bruce (Silverbird), Sandeep Bhargava (Studio 18), Felix Akugha Mamode (AIT/DAARSAT), Biola Adekambi (M-Net Africa Magic), Mark Walton (the Africa Channel), Enrico Chiesa (Dmage), Emmanuel Isikaku (Marketers Association), Parminder Vir OBE (Bollywood Expert), Madhu Mantena (The Big Bang Co)
Screening Schedules included : AMAZING GRACE BY JETA AMATA and EZRA BY NEWTON ADUAKA – see further details below :
A Social Networking event (for filmakers, Producers, Distributors and global media outfits) - was held at the Sports Bar of Silverbird Cinemas Port Harcourt
• Press Breakfast with the Governor at Government House
• 10am Silverbird Cinema Complex Films – World Premiere of “Dafur” by Chris Roland ( SA) ( Gripping war story about the horrors of that region- very moving) – 1 ½ HRS
• 12PM Silverbird Cinema Complex Films – World Premiere of “Gospel Hill” By Giancarlo Esposito ( USA) , starring HIMSELF, Angela Bassett and Danny Glover – 1 1/2HRS – Discussion with Director and Giancarlo took a lot of workshops and discussions which should be recognized as well.
• There were a plethora of other short films, documentaries ( short) & short films from Mali/Nigeria/Malawi/Germany/Slovenia/USA/Canada/India
• There were also Student Films from Nigeria/USA
• Pras Narrative and world class Feature & Documentary “ Skid Row” also aired to a rapturous applause from the audience ( 1hr 2omins ) – Discussion with Director
• PRESS CONFERENCE AT SILVERBIRD which was moderated by Baba Epega including the Bollywood Stars Adnan Siddiqui/ Mesumeh Makhija /Bollywood Directors Sandeep Bhangava/ Nollywood Stars and Directors (Sam Dede / Lancelot Oduwa/Head of Censorship) / Parminder Vir/ Chris Roland with the World Press – The discussion centered on Piracy / How to obtain Investment and how Nigerian Film can interact with Hollywood/Bollywood.
• There was a Directors lab
• There was a Panel discussion on “Distribution”
• Daryl Hannah arrived with her Chaperone Amy in the evening
MOET & CHANDON PARTY AT EDDIES WINE BAR OUTSIDE – SWELTERING BUT FUN WITH CHAMPAGNE FLOWING – RAMMED GATES
Sumptuous amount of champagne and a DJ flown in from Ibiza kicked off the Party
• Pras & Giancarlo arrived in good time
• Arrival with Daryl Hannah at 1 am
12TH DECEMBER 2009
Seminars included - PRODUCER'S CIRCLE - included pitching, TV Formats, mutual co-productions etc.
ACTOR'S STUDIO - WITH HOLLWOOD STAR - Gian Carlo Esposito - Nandana Sen FROM BOLLYWOOD and Sam Dede from NOLLYWOOD - HOLLYWOOD , NOLLYWOOD, BOLLYWOOD - The Circle is complete.
OUTDOOR CONCERTS HELD - LIVE PERFOMANCES - Timaya, Duncan Mighty, Terry G and Co. Live Feed and the Awards Show at Polo Club
AWARDS NIGHT - Red carpet and Awards Ceremony
Late start because of the Party “Moet Et Chandon” the night before:
• Producers Circle for Professionals – Producers searching for content, TV FORMATS, CO-PRODUCTION WITH Nigerians producers and one on one pitch meetings
• Documentaries like “Behind the Rainbow” by Jihan El Tahri ( Egyptian/SA) / “Black Business” by Oswald Lewat ( Cameroun)
• Short films like “ Elle” by Renaud Moran ( France) / “Slumber” by Antoinette Fernandez ( UK)
• Actors lab – as above with Hollywood, Bollywood, Nollywood Collaboration
• Lots of short films and docudramas ( 20)
CLOSING AWARDS CEREMONY – MONSTER BUDGET WITH ROW SEATING LIKE OSCARS – AFTER PARTY IN PENTHOUSE OF LE MERIDIEN FOR CELEBRITIES AND VIPS ONLY
RED CARPET AT POLO LOUNGE MARQUEE AGAIN BUT DIFFERENT
Great shows from:
• Rivers Dancers
• Nneka http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nneka_(singer)
• Pras of the Fugees ( Pras & Nneka did a rendition of “Killing Me Softly” and completely smashed it !
• Seun Kuti ( Son of Fela)
• Address by the Governor Amaechi
The Winners were :
• Youth Project EXAMINATION MALPRACTICE
Director Emoedumba Joshua - Nigeria
• Student Short Film WAITING LINES
Director Daniel Oriahio - Nigeria
• Best Short Film RENOUNCING ANGELICA
Director Temi Ojo - USA
• Music Video MICHAEL JACKSON SHINING
Director Trevor Parham - USA
• Animation WE ARE ALL HERE
Director Yonghwa Choi - USA
• Short Documentary WITNESS
Director Francis Vincent Odweso - Kenya
• Documentary YOU DIDN’T SEE ANYTHING IN KINSHASA
Director Mwese Ngangura - Congo
• DOCUMENTARY SPECIAL MENTION BEHIND THE RAINBOW
Director Jihan El Tahri – South Africa
• Feature Film FROM A WHISPER
Director Wanuri Kahiu - KENYA
• Nigerian Special Recognition NNENDA
• Director Izu Ojukwu - NIGERIA